Tuesday, January 26, 2010

49. My two new words

I've been stranded in Midland, Texas for two days now - and its cold, windy and a complete oil town! But in honour of my time in central Texas and receiving my cultural indoctrination I've decided its only fair for my two words this week to be classic Texan drawl... after all gotta assimilate to be accepted :D

Fixing'ta or Fixing to : About to do something, or get something done. Getting ready to do something. Example 'I'm fixing to go to the store'

Y'all : contradiction or informal form of the phrase 'you all' and is pronounced as one syllable ('yawl' or 'yu-awl'). It is used as a plueral second-person pronoun. Example ' Y'all can come round at 10

Oh and I have to include this!! During my training session in Midland this week I also learnt a new analogy which im guessing is an American thing... let me introduce you to the chicken and the pig (which afforded lots of laughing, in my direction when I wenth 'huh' during the training... the chicken and the pig went to breakfast... the chicken was involved but the pig was commited... can you figure it out?!?!?!

2 comments:

  1. OMG i totally say y'all all the gosh darn time! I was raised in Iowa & not used to it but ever since i moved down here its all i say anymore! UGH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha its scary how darn catching it is!!! I catch myself all the time :D

    ReplyDelete