Friday, April 2, 2010

91. Read and Review 100 books (12/100) The Host - Stephanie Meyer

'In this tantalizing SF Thriller, planet-hopping parasites are inserting their silvery centipede selves into human brains, curing cancer, eliminating war and turning Earth into paradise. But some people want Earth back, warts and all, especially Melanie Stryder, who refuses to surrender, even after being captured in Chicago and becoming the host for a soul called Wanderer. Melanie uses her surviving brain cells to persuade Wanderer to help search for her loved ones in the Arizona desert. When the pair find Melanie's brother and her boyfriend in a hidden rebel cell lead by her uncle, Wanderer must reconsider her species reason for invading and settling on Earth.'

I've been meaning to read The Host forever!! I think it was one of the first books I ever downloaded on my Kindle... and I've had that now for well over a year!! Anyways I was sitting at home one afternoon earlier this month, having just finished Catching Fire and trying to decide what I was going to turn my attention to next when I remembered that I'd yet to try The Host (I think watching New Moon finally may have also had something to do with the decision) Anyway, I loved the Twilight series so much (who doesn't?!?!) and had such positive memories of it, the books literally got me through 30 hours of flying and transitting when we first expatriated from Australia, that I began to wonder why it was that I'd let this other book of Stephanie Meyers for so long? Time to solve that mystery... I begain to read... I must admit, its no Twilight Saga... it'll still have you genuinely conerened for what happens to the main characters, but I didn't feel as invested in them as I did in Twilight, they're just not quite as loveable... Meyer sets up yet another love triangle, but its not the sort of triangle that polarizes camps as beautifully as Edward - Bella - Jacob. Its a good story, interesting premise, and it did keep me wanting to head straight home from work and delve into the Kindle (a good sign)... It sets the story up for a sequel so perhaps this will be the next Meyer Saga?? If so, I'll be reading the next!

On a side note, completely unrelated.. how annoying is it that books are released in Kindle format and then are removed from sale with no notice or explaination?!?!?! I jumped on Amazon this morning to download the kindle cover of the book for my blog and low and behold the book is no longer available for Kindle... Publishers?!?!?! It really means if you want to read a book on the Kindle you need to grab it when you see it or potentially, you could miss out.. frustrating!!

No comments:

Post a Comment