Sunday, September 12, 2010

91. Read and Review 100 Books (20/100) The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake - Aimee Bender

'Rose Edelstein has just discovered that she can taste people’s emotions in the food she eats. She is nine when this first occurs, and it profoundly changes her life.

Rose can tell if a cook is happy, sad, rushed or passionate about the food he or she is making. She can place fruit and veggies to the region where they were grown, and discern if they are organic or not. And she can describe the factory that creates her potato chips and other processed food without the complications of human touch.'

What a super interesting premise - the concept behind the novel is truly unique however I didn't really feel it was well executed. I found the novel a little confusing in places, especially at its conclusion and a number of the characters just weren't likable.. all in all though it was a good read and the main protagonist, Rose's struggle to come to terms with and finally accept her 'gift' keeps you turning the pages.. 

2 comments:

  1. Hmm interesting - do you reckon it's worth a read? I'm trying to get outside of my book 'comfort zone'...

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you can find it at the library I'd say deff give it a go... its a really good book.. I just found that it kinda died off in the end and didn't quite give me closure... but deff an interesting idea!!

    If you're after something a little different have you tried the Hunger Games trilogy? Or seriously give the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo a go!! :)

    ReplyDelete