Sunday, May 16, 2010

49. My two words of the week that is almost over.... ooops!

My two new words for this week are both diving related in honour of me finally completing my Scuba Diving Nitrox or EAN (Enriched Air Nitrox) certification just in time for our trip to Mexico at the end of the month... Bring on Cozumel!!

Nitrox
'A breathing gas which has a higher concentration of oxygen thank normal air. The level of oxygen in Nitrox is between 21% and 40%. Divers breath Nitrox so that their bodies absorb less nitrogen which increases no decompression times and reduces the risk of decompression sickness.'

   V.E.N.T.I.D
' The acronym Nitrox divers use to remember the signs of oxygen toxicity - Vision, Ears, Nausea, Twitching, Irritability, Dizziness. Oxygen toxicity is a real risk when diving with EAN (resulting in convulsions and unconsciousness) and divers must ensure they do not exceed their maximum depth or partial pressures for the individual mixture they are diving.'

As a quick side note, I'm changing the requirements for this particular task on my 101 challenge... realistically two new words every single week is just a little too hard to achieve, soooo I accept defeat and will be learning AND using two new words every fortnight instead from the first week in June... hopefully this way I can make the words a little more relevant to my every day life and actually USE them!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment